Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Whoaaaaaa

I haven't been on here since MAY???  WHAT???  I am so sorry...(if anyone is still reading my blog).  Time has literally flown by.  

Let's see...where do I begin?  CDU....I love it!  Talk about less stress and aggravation.  Although a month after we opened, we reverted back to basically a PCU unit because the doctors were fighting over who could admit to our unit.  They had to have a bunch of studies and meetings and after about 2 1/2 months, we are back to CDU status.  The patients for the most part are much easier to care for (and more normal).  They like to sleep at night, they are alert & oriented and the majority are not drug seeking.  There are always a few that slip thru the cracks.  I literally had a patient a couple weeks ago that the doctor advised her to stop doing crack.  No joke!

Oh...another update from CDU...the manager is one of my best friends...lol.  She is the nurse that left with me from the last hospital we were at & started our new venture at this one.  She opted for the admin route while I am sticking with bedside.  I just have no tolerance for meetings & b.s.  I only want to work my 36-40 hrs a week & be free the rest of the time.  She is on call 24/7.  I couldn't do that no matter what the pay was.  It is nice though having her as a manager.  Plus our unit is small & our staff gets along great.  Absolutely no drama & we all have each other's back.  It really is a nice place to work.  I will enjoy it while it lasts.  Only 25 more years until I can retire...yay! 

And yet another hospital update...the manager from my old unit - the one that was way too much of a micromanager.  Well, she no longer works at my hospital.  Enough said.

Puppy update...Timber is now about 70 lbs.  She has grown quickly.  She is adorable...very energetic.  If I can figure out how to post a pic on here, I will.  

Me update...I have somehow managed to lose about 50 lbs in the last couple of years.  I didn't exercise or eat better to lose this weight...I just ate less of the junk I usually do.  However, I have now joined Weight Watchers (mostly because my hospital gets me a big discount) & managed to lose 5 lbs in 3 weeks.  Doesn't make sense because I cut out 70% of the junk & started exercising.  I know...taking it off slowly is better, but I am sick this week & unable to keep up my healthy eating or exercise & I gained all 5 lbs back.  Ugh!  I'm not going to let it get me down.  This is a journey, not a race.  Gotta get rid of this cold & get refocused.  I am determined.  And thanks to instagram...there is tons of support & incentive & recipes.  I still have a long way to go...but I am going to get there.  One day at a time!

4 comments:

Carin Diaz said...

Congratulations about your fitness journey. 50 pounds is a lot!

Sorry, what do those acronyms mean?

Jen said...

Oops, sorry...CDU = Clinical Decision Unit...basically 23 hr observation. PCU = Progressive Care Unit...basically step-down from Intensive Care.

Carin Diaz said...

Got it. We have ED OBS, ICU, 5CW (unofficial step down) . . .

Anonymous said...

Great blog. Greeting from a night shift RN in Australia.