Sunday, November 6, 2005

Tired yet not sleepy

I'm so tired, yet not sleepy.  I've been up now for nearly 24 hours straight - only because I woke up early this morning.  It was a good day - I totally surprised my niece with Libby Lu's.  We never made it to Build-A-Bear.  I'll have to plan that for another time.  I can't believe she's nearly 9 yrs old.  I was in the delivery room (standing next to the doctor no less...lol) when she arrived into this world.  Time flies...way too quickly.

I came home to find a message from my hospital, desperate for help.  They even offered "call-back pay"...whatever that is.  I don't know if it's the $100 bonus or time & a half or what.  Regardless, it didn't matter as I was busy celebrating my niece's birthday tonight.  They also said they need help tomorrow night.  I haven't decided yet whether I will pick up the shift or not.  I'll see how I feel after getting some sleep today. 

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post...the strangest thing I've ever encountered so far in my nursing experience.  It is regarding the 49 yr old man with sepsis.  When I came into work last Wednesday evening, two women were in the room with him.  I figured it was family members or friends...so I left them be while I went to check on my other patients.  As I was walking by his room, I noticed the lights were off & the curtain was somewhat drawn.  That got my curiosity.  I stopped & listened.  There was one woman on each side of his bed & they were waving their hands all around & chanting about cleansing his cells & nourishing his body.  It definitely seemed like some sort of odd religious ritual.  I'm all for spiritual hope & I believe in God, but this was beyond odd.  I was not about to walk in that room, however, our respiratory therapist is a brave one.  I saw her go in for a minute & come right back out.  I asked "What is going on in there?"  She was a little freaked out.  She said "They are doing a seance or some kind of weird spiritual stuff!  I had to get out of there quickly as it was quite bizarre."  Just when you think you've seen it all...lol. 

I also had an 89 yr old man two nights earlier that continuously praised me for allowing him to have the best night of sleep he's had in years.  I didn't do anything.  He was basically falling asleep from the time I started my shift & slept until about 6 am.  Other than doing an assessment & giving him meds...I simply didn't bother him.  He insisted on giving me a hug & he followed it up with a kiss on the cheek.  I had some extra time that morning, so I sat with him for about 20 minutes & listened to stories of his past while holding his hand.  He reminded me of my grandfather. 

I'm exhausted, I need to get some sleep.  Ciao!

 

No comments: