Sunday, May 6, 2007

Suicide Attempt???

I had a patient last night that was admitted because he tried to attempt suicide - although he denies it. I don't think it was necessarily a true suicide attempt, but I do think it is a cry for help. He's in his early 20's, was abused by his alcoholic mother for half his life before leaving to live with his grandparents. His father is also an alcoholic & also a drug abuser. This kid never got a fair start in life.

He actually came into the hospital on Friday night and was admitted to the ICU by the next morning. When he got to ICU, he basically took off running out of the hospital. The cops searched for him...even had a helicopter looking for him. The search was unsuccessful. At noon, a charge nurse went to a local fast food restaurant & saw him there. She called the police and he was brought back to our hospital and admitted to my floor. By the time I got there, they had already given him Benadryl and Haldol so he was sleeping & stayed that way most of the night.

By morning, he was complaining that his IV was hurting. I didn't want to do anything to irritate him so I got a nurse that is great at IV's to start his. I knew she'd be able to get it on the first try. She is a really nice nurse too & she offered him some ice cream...which put a smile on his face.

He attempted to engage in conversation with me. Looking back, I should have made more of an effort...but part of me didn't want to. I didn't want to spend any more time in his room than I had to. I'm not really sure why I reacted that way. I know part of me didn't want to set him off in any way. I didn't want him to run off again. I don't know what the other part was though. I know he could have used some encouragement, some support, some compassion. I have encountered patients like that before...who needed an understanding word or gesture. I've never had trouble giving my patients what they needed. But I didn't have it available for this kid & it's something I need to think about.

He's supposed to be transferred today to a rehab center. Hopefully he will find the right path & straighten out his life.

My other patients were very easy to care for. I should have them back again tonight as none of them are scheduled to be discharged.

I went to a baseball game on Friday night. It was a high school baseball game - the team my oldest nephew was on last year. They won 7-4....barely, but they scored 5 runs in the 5th inning to come back & take the win. It was nervewracking, but I think that's what makes it exciting.

I'm working the next 3 nights in a row. After that I'll take a few days off to start packing and also to spend some time with my mom. I have to work on Mother's Day...so I'll have to spoil her a couple of days early!

Time for me to get some sleep!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I think  you may have had a gut feeling here about the suicide kid...because I know you are one of the most caring nurses I know...something must not have been quite right with the karma...or whatever.
I love ball games when they are like that...I do not like run-away games!!!
Hope your mama has a good mother's day...
love ya,
carlene