Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Time is Now

Looks like the time has come to seriously start looking to work somewhere else. Reason being...my hours have been cut in half because we are overstaffed. How many hospitals can complain about that...being OVERstaffed with nurses? Ugh, it was a poor management decision made about 8 months ago to force all per diem nurses to go full or part-time and to hire more nurses for our busy season rather than hire agency or travelers. Now that it's starting to slow down...we have way too many nurses & not enough patients.

Luckily, the other hospital still has a need for nurses and I was able to pick up enough shifts that there won't be much of a difference in my paycheck...thank goodness! But I think I've had way too many signs lately to move on & find something else. I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for, but hoping the answer(s) will come. I know I've made the most important one so far & that is knowing I will be moving on. Just have to secure something else before doing so. Lots of things to think about....so tired of thinking about it. Trying not to stress out about it. Change is good, right? Right??????? :)

I got called off tonight....this is after being sent home last week. Frustrating! But I didn't mind because I am pretty tired & am happy to be home at the moment.

Not much to say about my patients...it's been an easy week...or should I say easy 2 nights. I'm going out Wednesday night and Thursday night with friends....gotta have a little fun to decrease the thoughts going on in my head. I'm thankful nursing is a secure job & finding something new won't be too difficult (at least I hope not). I'll keep ya updated...wish me luck!

7 comments:

LivingDeadNurse said...

i hate to say this but alot of places are cutting back...they say its the economy but i think they just want to line their pockets more...but thats my opinion

Julie said...

We are seeing that here and all over. One of our hospitals may close. Times are going to get worse instead of better for awhile I think. My hospital is still begging for help but mostly PRN nurses now which we had done away with. Good luck with getting another job quickly.

Unknown said...

Even if you do end up doing something else, you should be thanked for what you've done to this point. Thanks to you and all nurses for the dedication you put into nursing. All our thanks would only be a small tribute to nurses that deserve so much more.

Amanda said...

That seems to be happening everywhere. My hospital has a union, but our contract is up this fall and I think we are in for a nasty fight this time around. Change is good--think of all the cool places you could go and things you could try out!

Carin Diaz said...

I am seeing that here too. That is why I hold 2 jobs--a full time and a part time thru agency where my hours are flexible.

I blogged abt the issue before: http://www.12hournurse.com/2008/10/its-over-the-nursing-shortage.html

Good luck.

paliRN said...

Thanks! I am looking forward to seeing how everything goes. I am sorry to hear about your job situation. I really hope things get better for you and everyone else who is suffering in these difficult economic times.

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Michael Guzzo said...

Hey, good luck!

The same thing happened to me at the end of last year. It was a little hairy for a while, but luckily I found a great position with the local VAMC.