Friday, May 14, 2010

I Made a Nurse Cry

Yep, I made a nurse cry last night.....because it was her 60th birthday & I managed to surprise her with a mini-party! :)

Work is going well. Had my yearly eval the other day. Yep, it's just about a year since I switched hospitals & for once, it was an awesome eval. My old hospital would never quite give you the credit you deserved because their motto was "you should always be striving to do better." Ummm, ok, I can strive to do better while still doing great & that's exactly what this eval was about. Or more like "don't change anything, we love what you're doing." It's nice to be appreciated. I was also told I am the designated preceptor for the night shift for new hires. Nice! And we have raises coming in June. Woo hoo!

It's kind of amazing. When I first got hired at this hospital a year ago, my floor was like the most unwanted floor for anyone to want to work on. Now 12 months later....there is an actual waiting list of nurses who want to work on my floor only. Needless to say, not only have I had an awesome year, so has my unit. We are where everyone wants to be. I don't think it's only because our pt ratio is 3 to 1, but also the attitude the floor exudes. Teamwork has increased 100%. It's now a fun, friendly floor. I like to think that those of us that transferred from my old hospital were a large part of the reason...because that is how we prefer to work...as a team. And that attitude is contagious. So all is good. I'm happy with my career at this point.

I do need to get focused on achieving my bachelor's degree in nursing. This hospital will pay for it 100%, so why not? The thought of having to do schoolwork though = ugh. Maybe later in the year. I don't want to think about it right now.

I'm going to Disney's Animal Kingdom in the morning...so I've got to get some sleep. Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments: