Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Still hobbling

I'm still hobbling around. The ankle is better & I can walk...but it gets swollen & at times it aches a little bit. I worked the weekend & did ok......even walked 2 1/2 miles after work Monday morning! I came home, went to sleep, woke up & ankle felt perfectly fine. I walk 30 feet to my mailbox & suddenly my ankle is aching. Grrr! And last night I tried out that new Kinect thing for Xbox360. Guess it's probably too soon to be jumping & moving side to side...cause my ankle was hurting afterwards. This morning I woke up & it was ok. I wish it would just all go away. It's been 10 days already...when will this swelling stop? I realize no one really knows, but I'm just venting a little. I want to get back to working out & walking without feeling like I'm overdoing it.

Work was ok. I got floated to a med/tele floor on Saturday. Not really sure why someone would order med/tele as opposed to PCU. They both require a heart monitor, but the med/tele floor only does vitals once a shift as opposed to PCU doing them every 4 hours. Oh well, I wasn't complaining. I was busy though & realized they have it far worse than I do. They get 5 patients WITHOUT a tech. That is insane to me. How do they expect us to deliver quality healthcare, yet not supply us with the ability to provide that? Seriously. I'm sure if the patient to nurse ratio was decreased, there would be far less hospital related deaths.

I won't go into that rant. Sunday I was back on my floor & all was fine until about 4:30 in the morning when our fabulous ER (not) gave me a patient with a diagnosis of bronchitis. Turns out his real admitting diagnosis should have been A-fib with RVR. Let me mention...new onset of A-fib too. His heart rate when he got to me was 163. Nice. I called & got a cardizem drip and after all his admission stuff was done, I wrote up the ER for delay of care. He came in 4 hours earlier & all of his EKG strips showed the A-fib & although his HR was not extremely high while in the ED...you could see it was increasing. Started out at 92 & the last strip they showed read 119. How do they not address something like that? Bronchitis at this point was the least of his worries!

Sighhhhhh.......

No comments: