Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Whoa

How is it May already?  I swear it was just the beginning of the year & then I blinked & it is May!  

Work seems to be getting better...or maybe my tolerance for all the b.s. is getting higher.  We are no longer 3 patients to 1 nurse - not that they ever really kept us at that ratio.  We are now 4 patients to 1 nurse and we get 2 techs at night.  Dayshift has the same ratio, but they get 4 techs.  Hopefully we will be staffed appropriately & not just randomly have techs.   They say they want us to get back to being nurses.  ABOUT TIME!  Of course we still have to kiss ass.  Our manager told us today we are not allowed to say "no" to a patient.  That we must find a way to meet whatever needs they have.  This is just so unrealistic.  I had a patient last week ask me to rub her thighs.  Ummm, the answer is NO.  I am a nurse, not a massage therapist.  I am never going to be rubbing some stranger's thighs...ever.  Never ever ever ever.

I went today for a dental procedure called an apicoectomy.  I am not a wimp when it comes to dental procedures.  I don't like them, but I can tolerate them.  I was told it would 30-40 min procedure.  I declined IV sedation (I am an idiot) & opted for a Valium & some Novacain.  If I had a do over...I would pay the $350 for sedation.  The procedure ended up being 70 min of torture.  I've been home now for 7 hours & actually feel ok.  Not sure if my 4 rounds of Novacain have worn off yet or the Vicodin & Ibuprofen are doing their job, but I feel ok.  Sore, but tolerable.  Hopefully the next 24-48 hrs will be ok.  

Wish me luck!

No comments: