Sunday, May 15, 2005

So much for that

So much for volunteering to work overtime.  I went in Friday night & my wish was granted - I started out with three patients.  Three easy to care for patients.  One was in for abdominal pain & she was scheduled to have a cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal) Saturday morning.  Another had fallen & broken her hip.  She already had her surgery on Friday & was pretty much knocked out from the anesthesia & painkillers.  My third patient was somewhat of a problem-child (so to speak).  A 50 yr old man that came in Thursday night because he lost the ability to move on the right side of his body for a period of time.  He was admitted with a diagnosis of CVA vs. TIA.  By Friday he couldn't stand being in the hospital & wanted to leave.  I tried to explain to him that it was against his doctor's medical advice, but he didn't care.  So I got the proper forms for him to sign-out AMA (against medical advice).  Took out his IV, removed his heart monitor & told him to take care.  By 9:30 I had already done my assessments, charted all of my paperwork, passed meds & had pretty much nothing else to do.  I chatted a little bit with my gallbladder patient, stocked a few items by the Pyxis & called Gina.  She was on the 3rd floor & seemed busy enough with her four patients.  Around midnight my clinical leader was asking if I wanted to stay or go home.  I told her I wanted to stay.  Heck, it was overtime $$ & my night so far was a piece of cake.  I don't even know why she bothered to ask my opinion because it was clear that she was planning to send me home.  I gave report to the nurses that were taking my patients, went upstairs to take a break with Gina while I also put my clipboard & stethescope in my locker.  I finally left around 12:55.  I was also informed that because the hospital census was low, that I'd probably be called off for Saturday night & I was indeed.  Darn - that would have been complete overtime which averages out to a little over $40 an hour.  Oh well, easy come easy go. 

One good thing about not working was that I got to watch the Nascar race.  I sound like a redneck girl, don't I?  Trust me, I'm not.  There's just something about watching cars go nearly 200 mph, not to mention the "young guns."  I was glad to see Kasey Kahne finally win a race.  I'm beginning to wonder if Dale Jr. will see first place anytime soon.  He better! 

I'm back to work tonight for my regular schedule & once again hoping to have a relatively good night.  I'm also hoping I'm on the same floor as Gina.  It just makes it more fun to have someone to chat with & review things that don't make complete sense in our charts.  It's unlikely that we'll be in the same area as this hospital has 3 separate PCU areas.  One can hope, can't they?

I've gotten a few emails from nursing students around the country.  Thanks for writing!  If you have any questions or concerns, send me an email.  You've chosen a great career path - don't let anything stop you from achieving your goals.  You learn plenty of book stuff in school, but I think the real learning begins when you get actual "hands on" experience.  That's pretty much how it is for most things, isn't it?  You can read all you want on how to drive a car, but it's not until you're behind the wheel that you can say you know how to drive a car.  Hang in there & follow your dreams!

I'm gonna go work on a new patient report sheet & then get in a nap before work tonight.  Have a great Sunday everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting your experience as a first year RN. I admire you for doing something so noble with your life. Taking care of the sick is not an easy job, and you are basically the advocate, teacher, care-giver... everything to the patient.
I will be starting nursing school this fall and I cannot wait untill I begin my journey as a RN.

-Thanxs again for sharing!

-myra