Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Official Anniversary

Today marks my official one year anniversary of working at my current hospital.  I'm no longer considered a "rookie" or a "new" nurse...although I know I still have plentyyyy to learn.  I received a .60 cent raise.  I don't know, call it disappointed, but I think it should have been more than that.  Oh well...just more of a sign to spread my wings & fly.  We're still getting the run around about going per diem & we're hearing this is typical.  That until you actually put in notice of quitting do they actually listen to what you are requesting.  I'm not at that point yet, but I have been looking around.  Tomorrow both Gina & I are going on job interviews at one of the big hospitals in Orlando.  Soon they are opening a brand new mother/baby hospital & they are trying to recruit staff now.  I've always wanted to learn more about the mother/baby/labor/delivery aspect of nursing & I'm thinking if this isn't a great opportunity, what is?  I still plan to remain at my current hospital for now....in a very limited capacity = 2 days a month.  If this other hospital wants me, I'm willing to give it a go & step into a different specialty of nursing.  The more I learn, the better, right?

So that is my current plan.  I need to find my resume for tomorrow & get organized with my nursing paperwork.  I have no idea where my CEU certificates are or even my nursing license.  I believe it's in my safe, at least that's where it should be.  Now if only I could find the key to my safe...lol.  One day I'll get organized!

This week at work wasn't bad...nothing much really going on.  I had a few patients that were unable to sleep at night....I found it odd that they were able to stay awake all night, but then again...look at me, that's what I do...well, when I'm working anyways.  Then the day nurse would complain that they were lethargic through the day.  What can I do?  I can't make someone go to sleep...well, I can given the right medication, but that's a different story. 

Our ER was super busy last night...to the point that it felt like a drive thru - we had to go down there to get a bedside report & then take our patient back with us & eventually return the stretcher to the ER.  The nurses down there were too busy to leave.  That's a first & a major reason why I wouldn't want to be an ER nurse...they seem too busy.  Not that any other nurse isn't busy, but I like organization & planning my night...at times events change my plans, but for the most part it flows pretty well.  In the ER, you never know what's going to happen & it seems like the nurses are overwhelmed & can't even really give you a good report on your patient because their mind is racing in other directions.  At this point in my life, I do not thrive off of stress...so you won't be seeing me venturing into ER nursing anytime soon. 

I'll write more tomorrow after the interview.  Wish me luck!

No comments: