Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Merely babysitting?

It's raining, it's pouring....good ol Florida summers.  I don't mind the rain - as long as I'm not out driving in it.  I'm glad I'm home because I was planning on going to Sea World this afternoon/evening.  I postponed it until tomorrow...I hope it's not going to be raining like this tomorrow. 

Work was a breeze this week...all stable, alert & oriented patients...well, almost all, I received one patient last night around 11 pm that was confused, but he slept nearly the entire night...as did my other patients.  Nights like those I feel like I'm merely babysitting the older generation. 

I think my thyroid condition is improving since I've been taking my medication on a normal daily basis.  I definitely don't seem to need as much sleep as I had in the past.  Like even today...I took a 2 1/2 hour nap after work & I'm wide awake now.  Usually I would sleep until 5 or 6 just to catch up on my sleep. 

I found out last night that I'm getting a raise in August.  Woo hoo!  I love more money.  I've actually had quite an increase in pay over the last 18 months....over a $3/hr increase since when I was hired.  It's not as much as what I'd make in other states, but then again...we don't have a state income tax...so I think it washes out.  I'm still looking forward to the income that travel nurses make...soon, real soon.  I do need to start working on getting all the paperwork completed for travel nursing & agency nursing.  It's such a pain...showing proof of immunizations & titers & a zillion other things.  Oh well, gotta get it done sometime. 

I just renewed my nursing license...I can't believe it's that time already.  It has gone by quickly.  We have a new person in charge of our department...she's really friendly & approachable.  She was asking me how I like it at the hospital.  I said all good things & she replied "I think we need to make you the ambassador to speak to all of the new hires."  Eeekkk...nooooooooo. 

We are getting closer & closer to going computerized...I start training at the end of August & I believe October 22nd is our "go live" date.  I'm curious to see how much of an improvement it is...because I can't imagine it being any worse than all of the handwritten charting we are doing now.  It takes hours to chart on our patients.  Watch though...they'll probably increase our patient ratio if this is truly effective with time managment...grrr.  We shall see!!!!!!

My niece is coming over tonight...time to spoil her...yet again.  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

raises are great, yeah. Have fun with your niece.