Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Ahhhhh.....EKG strips!

Day 1 of the EKG class is over - it is so confusing....atrial tachycardia, atrial flutter, atrial fibrillation. Tomorrow we learn all the others......ventricular & blocks & PVCs.....so much to learn & understand.

Gina & I went to see the woman that handles our schedules. Gina let her know she needed a different preceptor - someone who was a little better with time management. And I volunteered to add an extra shift each week to my schedule (what was I thinking??). I figure the more I work, the more I'll get used to the routine as well as more money in the bank to pay my bills. Especially when I'm with a preceptor as efficient as mine is. I asked to be added on Saturdays....part of the reason is because the differential is 35%. Can't beat that. The cool thing with Gina changing preceptors is that we'll be able to work more of the same nights. It just makes it so much more comfortable having someone you already know around. We saw our 4th semester clinical instructor today. He was like "What are you two doing here?" He was surprised we were working there. He doesn't care for that hospital at all. Needless to say, he wasn't very supportive. Oh well!!!! I'm just looking to get experience - not make a lifelong career at this hospital.

My volleyball team won last night (as usual). We have 2 new players on our time - some guy & Buffy. They are cool. I played pretty well considering I only had 3 hours of sleep.

I should be doing my EKG homework right now. Instead I'm watching "House." I don't know why I watch this show - it is a medical show that is impossible to figure out & makes no sense at all. I should watch one of the movies I rented last week. I'm tired, I fell asleep earlier for about 2 hours.

I forgot to mention on my last post that Gina & I got to witness a code in the ER on Sunday night. The lady would code, they'd revive her, she'd get all fiesty & try to fight them and then code again. They called it "cycling." They ended up having to restrain her. I don't know if she survived or not. I wonder if I'll ever feel confident enough inmy skills to be part of the code team. I do want to get ACLS (advanced cardiac life support) certified - but who knows if I'll feel confident enough to take part in a code.

Ok, time to watch "Dog the Bounty Hunter" - one of my favorite shows. :)

No comments: