Saturday, February 12, 2005

First Doctor Call!!!

I made my first call to a doctor this morning - bright & early....6:15 am.  I have already discovered that it is not much fun calling & waking up doctors - especially over information that is not vitally important at the time.  However, they are the ones that write "call with any abnormal results", so what is a nurse to do?  I did have a little mercy on him - I got the results on a chest x-ray at 3:30 am, but waited until after 6 am to call him.  It went sort of like this - called the doctor's phone number, which is basically an answering service - then the answering service patches you through to the doctor.  I could tell I woke him up, but anyways...I read the results of the x-rays "possible atelectasis in the lungs."  His reply:  "ok."  That's it, that's all he said.  I was all eager to write up new orders, had my pen in my hand, the chart turned to the section of doctor's orders & all I get was "ok."  It wasn't even an energetic ok, it was more like when you ask a guy to take the garbage out & he mumbles "ok."  Soooooo, being the curious one that I am, I say "Would you like to order anything for this?"  I'm thinking obviously this lady needs a pulmonary consult ordered.  The doctor's reply: "no."  So much for that!  Instead of writing up some doctor's orders, I wrote in my nurse's notes "Called Dr. at 6:15 to inform him of the results,  no orders given at this time."  Sounds so professional, doesn't it?  The night I had was a little crazy - not because of my patients, but because of my preceptors patients - they were all having trouble breathing.  I had 2 patients last night - one was a little old lady that only spoke spanish & slept pretty much from the time I got there until the time I left.  My other patient was the atelectasis patient.  She came in with chest pain, went to the cath lab, then was admitted.  I did her entire admission - not too shabby.  She has been a nurse for 40 years, but she didn't seem like she knew all that much.  Another one this morning was prounouncing dyspnea as dyspenia.  She had no idea how to say dyspnea.  The night went by quickly, which is always a good thing.

I'm watching Nascar now - my latest favorite sport.  I really like Dale Earnhardt Jr. #8.  The Bud Shootout is on right now& it's taking place in Daytona.  I like the night races, but I would never want to go to the track - wayyyy too crowded for me.  Although Daytona has made a lot of changes to the infield of their track - it's like a mini-amusement park now.  Still though, I have no interest to being at the track.  I went one time to the Gator Nationals & was down on pit row - wayyyy too loud for me.  I'm listening to Dale on the raceday scanner.  It's pretty cool.  He's in 5th place right now...go Dale go! 

Speaking of cars, I got into my SUV last night to go to work & saw one of the lights on the dashboard lit up.  Ugh!!!!!  I hate when that It looked like an exclamation point with some waves underneath it.  I was thinking "What the heck does that mean?"  Turns out I had a nail in one of my tires & that light was letting me know that the tire pressure was low.  Isn't that amazing?  I would have never known otherwise until my tire became flat.  I discovered the nail when I got home from work this morning.  I decided to take it to a tire shop so I wouldn't have to worry about it later.   One hour & $24 later - my tire is fixed.  Yay!


No comments: